Updated on: Feb 09, 2023
The Tutoring Institute (“The Tutoring Institute” or “Company” or “We”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.thetutoringinstitute.com (our “Website“).
Scope of this Policy
The Information We Collect
We may collect information about your browser and device (IP address, browser version, etc.) but we cannot link that information to an identifiable person unless and until you create an account.
If you do choose to use our Services, you must provide us with some personal information so that we can provide the Service. This includes information you provide to us, such as:
- registration information when you create a User account
- profile information, such as city and state, educational level or background, tutoring subjects, and birthday
- uploaded content (profile, photographs, CV/resume, classes, etc.)
- lesson recordings (whitespace lessons are recorded on a third-party site, www.thelessonspace.com, but not audio or video)
- questions, comments, or other information when you communicate with us, by phone, email, or via third party social media sites, or participate in interactive features of the Service (such as online tool chat messages);
Customers: students, parents, guardians
- We may also collect personal information when you fill out our questionnaire, to make payments for tutoring sessions, tutoring questions related to homework, school information, teacher’s responses of a student and their progress (only if the student is 18 or older or a parent/guardian has granted us permission), and content you upload for other Users or Public display (such as questions, homework for the Tutor to help you with, online reviews of the Tutors)
- For tax purposes and to run a background check, we may need to collect: your Social Security number or Federal Employer Identification Number, date of birth, address, and phone number. We may also collect bank account information to make payments via direct deposit. However, currently, we are not collecting your SSN or FEIN or bank account information via the website.
- We may also collect information that will be listed on your online profile (such as education, and hobbies) or information sent to Students and Parents/Guardians or information that may be used for marketing purposes on our social media.
- Our company is hosted on the AWS Server. AWS provides us with the online platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you. Your data may be stored through AWS’s data storage, databases and the general AWS applications. They store your data on secure servers behind a firewall.
- All direct payment gateways offered by Stripeand used by our company adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers.
Information we collect automatically
- When you use the Service, we collect certain information primarily for security and function of our Services. This information consists of the type of browser you use, access time, pages viewed, IP address, and, if enabled, geolocation; and we collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Service, including without limitation operating system and unique device identifiers and mobile network information. However, this information does not reveal your identity.
- The personal information that we collect may include the following: name (students, parents, tutors), phone number, email address, mailing address, job titles, education history, usernames, birthdays (to determine age). This data is used to better understand and enhance Users experience with the Service and on the Platform and Apps. The Tutoring Institute may publish aggregate User statistics or share them with third parties.
Information we collect from other sources
- We may also obtain personal information from our background check administrator and combine that with information we collect through the Service. For example, we may view information about you for the purposes of identity verification, credit bureaus, educational background, and other background check information, including from publicly available sources, but this information is not stored on our systems. User generated content on the Platform or App that is cross-posted through certain social networking preferences (e.g. pages you “Like” or “Follow”) may be viewed by the general public. Accordingly, The Tutoring Institute cannot ensure the privacy of any personal information included in such User generated content.
How We Use Your Information
- The Tutoring Institute may use your personal information for various purposes, including:
- account creation and to provide the Service, including without limitation, access to previous lessons, tutor-matching services, information about prospective tutors, and facilitating communication directly between students and tutors;
- to process transactions and billing;
- for identification and authentication purposes;
- to communicate with you concerning the Service, User requests, transactions, security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the Service, and services that we think may be of interest to you;
- improve the Service and deliver and display targeted advertisements on our Service, content or features in the Service and on other sites or apps; and
- for administration of and troubleshooting regarding the System
- The Tutoring Institute may use your personal information for various purposes, including:
Information We Share and Disclose
- We do not sell your personal information. To make the Platform work, we may need to share some of your personal information with other Users, our affiliates, our Partners, third parties, and service providers. This section explains when and why we share your information.
- User Content
- Your member profile and information that you post or share, such as tutor biography, educational background, city and state, photos, reviews, comments, suggestions, and information about you or your experience, may be seen and shared with other Users of our Service. If you do not want it listed publicly then either do not share it with us when listing your biography or notify us to remove it.
- Information Shared Between Users
- The Tutoring Institute shares a minimum amount of personal information between tutors and students/parents/guardians in order to facilitate the arrangement of tutoring sessions, including, your first name and last initial (student’s name if contract is with a parent), city, photo, and details about the tutoring services you seek or provide. Messages to students also, contain tutors’ full name.
- If you refer:
- If you are referred:
- In order for the person that referred you to get our referral reward, you have to at least complete one 60-minute tutoring session. There is a greater reward for larger packages that you purchase. When the person that referred you receives a referral reward, they will then have a general idea that you are receiving tutoring services and to some extent the amount of tutoring.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Service Providers
- The Tutoring Institute uses industry-standard 128-bit SSL encryption when collecting and transmitting your information through the Platform and the The Tutoring Institute network. Once information has been collected, we encrypt sensitive data in our database for added security. The Tutoring Institute also uses firewalls and hardware monitoring across our system to protect against unauthorized access. Unfortunately, even with these measures, The Tutoring Institute cannot guarantee the security of personal information. By using the Service, you acknowledge and agree that The Tutoring Institute makes no such guarantee, and that you use the Service at your own risk.
- Modifying or correcting your information
- Location Information
- You can prevent your device from sharing location information through your device’s system settings. However, by doing so, this may impact The Tutoring Institute ability to provide you our full range of features and services.
- Cookie Tracking
- You can modify your cookie settings on your browser settings. If you delete or choose not to accept our cookies, you may be missing out on certain features of the Service.
- Do Not Track
- Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services that you do not want them to track your online activities. The Service does not currently support Do Not Track requests at this time.
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides some California residents with the additional rights listed below.
Right to Know
- You have the right to know and see what data we have collected about you over the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information
- The speciﬁc pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- You have the right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you (and direct our service providers to do the same). Note that deletion requests are subject to certain limitations, for example, we may keep information as required or permitted by law, to process transactions, certain account-related information, to facilitate User requests, and protect and fix our system.
- You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above.
- We try to respond to a consumer request for access or deletion within 30 days of receiving that request. If we are unable to accomplish that request in 30 days, we will email you to explain the reason and an extension period. If we do not have your email, then we will respond in the manner that you contacted us.
- This Service is not intended for use by children under 13 years of age.
- The Tutoring Institute does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not provide your contact information or any other personally identifiable information to The Tutoring Institute. If you are the parent or legal guardian of someone under the age of 13 who may have provided us with information without your knowledge or consent, please contact us to have this information removed. All contact, including tutoring sessions, between a tutor and any minor should take place only in a supervised setting.
- Messages sent between the tutor and student or parent through the platform will be visible to the administration and might be saved indefinitely. All messages between the tutor and student will also be visible to the parent if the student is under the age of 18. Messages will not be allowed between the tutor and students under the age of 13.